This blog is intended for our family and close friends only. It is not meant to be entertaining, understandable, or remotely interesting to the general public.

August 4: A Few Reasons Why Families Are Awesome

They send surprise care packages filled with delicious brownies.
.



They take care of your home and make sure the orchids keep blooming while you're away.

They make sure your university doesn't charge you $400.67 in late fees.

A little background: I asked Danielle to return some library books for me. Understandably, it slipped her mind somewhere between moving to a new city and getting ready to start med school. When I discovered this, the books were already 3 weeks late and GW had already prepared a $400.67 invoice covering the replacement cost of the "presumed lost" books. Knowing she already has an overflowing plate, I told her not to worry about it. Here is her response:

Although you told me not to worry about the library fine, I did, and I decided that I was not going to let GW get away with robbing you. Here's a synopsis of my adventure at GW today:

I went to GW but I forgot that you need a GWorld to enter Ross Hall.  Hmmmm, do I pay $10 for an alumni ID? No, that's a lot of money so I decided to take my chances and hope that a guy was at the security desk.  Plus, I only had enough change for 40 min on the meter, so I had to go!  To my good fortune, Alonzo was at the security desk and I was in!  Now, the next obstacle: very mean looking woman sitting at the entrance to Himmelfarb.  I pleaded with her to just let me in so that I could go to the information desk. I told her she'd be able to see me the entire time, and I promised not to touch a single thing!  She rolled her eyes and told me to go ahead. Yes!  So I walked to the information desk and explained to them that my sister forgot to return her books before she left for Baghdad, and I have to pay the fine because she's in Baghdad, and she'll have to register soon because she's in Baghdad, and did I mention that my sister is serving our country in Baghdad?  The girl's eyes widened as she saw your fine.  "These books are really late" she said.  I profusely apologized and explained that you just don't remember to do things like return library books as you're getting ready to leave for Baghdad, you know?  So she went to get the manager, who asked how you were holding up  in a place like Iraq.  I told her that it was difficult but that you love what you do.  After a little chat, I handed over my credit card and she took it to the back to run it.  I felt defeated.  Those unpatriotic librarians were really going to charge me? A few minutes later the manager returns.  She leans over the counter and whispers to me, "I don't believe that people serving our country should have to pay late fees.  I took all of the fines off of your sister's account."  Yaaaaayyyyy!!!!!  Take that GW!
Thank you Moms & Dads!
Thank you Sisters & Bro!
We love you!
A&P


1 comment:

  1. Great story. I do that all the time, but then I have to admit I'm not in the military because I feel bad. You are right about families and care packages. You and Aaron also hooked me up with some great packages!

    ReplyDelete